Matthews Family Herald

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" from Joshua 24:15


Last year seemed to be the year of broken marriages. We've seen at least 5 different marriages of people we know break apart upon the rocks and sink this year.


My daughter was just married this year and she wrote out some vows which I wanted to share. I posted them originally on Facebook and so I've copied and pasted them here. They are in reverse order:


‎12. I vow to never leave you and will love you until my final breath. Amen.

‎11. I will always remain loyal to you, and will not allow anyone to take your place, physically or emotionally.
‎10. I will support and encourage you through all that life will bring, sharing in your joy as well as your pain.
‎9. I will never become complacent, but will always strive for growth in myself and our marriage.


‎8. I vow to never leave an issue unresolved and will not allow un-forgiveness or bitterness to remain indefinitely in my heart.

‎7. In such conflicts, I will communicate any hurt or opposing opinion respectfully and without spite.

‎6. When a conflict arises, I will listen to your view and respect you, your thoughts, and your feelings.
‎5. I will always put your needs and desires before my own.

‎4. I will fulfill my role as your wife and will do everything within my power to help meet your needs, choosing to serve you, not merely out of duty but as an act of love.

‎3. I vow to always honor you and submit to the authority and spiritual leadership God has given you as my husband.

‎2. I will always trust Him and believe His truth about you, having resolute faith in His word.

1. First and foremost, I vow to never forsake my faith in God or His plan for our lives.


Having a good marriage isn't hard, but seems so and millions of divorces each year make it look very difficult. Following God is also not hard but seems to be so as so many people give up and turn from God each year. It isn't hard. All you have to do is give up yourself completely and follow God will all of your being. That's all. You die and go away. God lives through you. Get that straight, and first, the definition of a "good marriage" will be defined by God and not you. Secondly, your life and your marriage will please God and therefore will be "good."

4 comments:

Great post!

That's a powerful list.

Looks like the above person felt like advertising their business here. Checked out the site and wasn't pleased by it.

At least it's a little bit relevant. Someone did the same thing to me but it didn't have any relevance to the post... It was like, a spanish water bottle company or something.

That's funny, Brian. It amuses me to imagine people spending all day randomly adding posts to one blogsite or another. Maybe it works, I don't know. Don't think it's the right thing to do though.

Take care,
James

Post a Comment

About this blog