Matthews Family Herald

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" from Joshua 24:15







Doner Kebaps, Doner Yufkas, Doner Pizza! Oh...ode to thee, ode to thee indeed.

I'm so serious. I'm not even kidding. The story of these items to eat is very, very sober and serious in our family. We have found these to be among the best of things to eat in the world. It all starts and likely ends with the grilled meat that's inside them. The meat comes from this gigantic cylinder of meat that stands upright and spins as it is grilled by heating elements. The meat is cut from these in a downward motion and caught below. It's next added into amazingly fresh, toasted bread or something similar to a tortilla, and then covered with a unique sauce. All kinds of tasty vegetables are added in. Finally, you can have peppers and/or a hot spices sprinkled in which look something like the hot stuff you sprinkle on pizza at Pizza Hut. The places that make these in Germany are literally all over the place. Most towns have at least 3 or 4 of them. If someone brought these to America, they would make a gah-billion dollars an hour.
I would not be surprised if wars were started over these or will be soon. They are that good. We crave them constantly. My wife says that she learned that meat, when grilled, has a chemical make-up that's more addicting that cigarettes. This just might be so. For sure, the Doner food is for me.
There's an unwritten rule that whoever of us goes into town must bring one of these back. Once, I accidently got to the Doner too late after I had already promised my wife I'd bring her one. The Doner place was closed. My wife did very well in not staying upset and not showing her feelings but I knew for sure that she was hurt.
I've had nights where I literally was nearly tasting one of the Doner Kebaps. I had one two days ago and that same night, I couldn't sleep for wanting one. The next day, we ordered three of them while in town and squabbled over the food as we ate it in the car.

Doner food is not to be triffled with.
Last but not least, thank you Bachert family for this great little YouTube video they sent me of a dog praying:
This in no way implies that this food is made from dog meat...
Also, there's a song I sing some variation of any time we are going to get some Doner food. It goes something like
"Yufka, oh Yufka
Doner, Doner Yu-oo-fkah!
Yufka, oh Yufka
(Insert a person's name - example:) Micah wants a Yufka"
I'm planning to come back to this post each time we have Doner food and post the details.

15 comments:

Oh, yes, yes. Very serious business. It is making me hungry just looking. The sub-type sandwich looks incredibly yummy. If only you could ship one to the US and keep it from spoiling.... Though it's better fresh, I'm sure.... That's it! I'm going to Germany...


And sorry... I currently can't watch the video at the bottom... Dialup! (Argh)

Sorry Bry, that you can't watch the video. As for shipping one of those things, I really really really wish we could. They are that good. We've got your room just about ready here for when you come.

James

I just ate another Kebap today. Mmmhhhmmm.

James

Looks so good! I forgot to eat breakfast today in the rush out the door... I am at the library, so I'm watching the video now!

And I'll be on the next flight to Germany! ....I suppose now would be a good time to ask, where are you in Germany...? Mmm, I can almost imagine the taste of that grilled meat on my lips!

Oh also, the video is great!

Glad you were able to see the video, Brian! Too cool!

Had another Yufka yesterday! Micah had a Kebap with way too much spicy hot stuff but it was still good and he still ate it all!

James

I've seen those slabs of meat before, wondered what they were. I might have to visit Germany one day just to try it out.

Hi Johnny, it would seriously be worth the trip if only for that reason alone...

James

umm back off, Brian. Those kebabs are mine!! Family first right dad? RIGHT!?

ahhhhh what I would give for a doner now. I'm suffering major withdrawals over here...

Hi Rae, So good to see you here and we'll save one just for you! Nobody gets it!

It's been awhile since my last Yufka...I almost had one but the new place here didn't take debit cards...grr. Ich haban gross hungar fur Yufkas!

haha JAH!

Hi, yes! We were able to have more of this delicious food last Saturday. It was the first time we all actually "got full" and reached the point where we were turning down left overs from others who did not want that last inch or two of their Yufka. Ah. It was truly tasty...

Well, my wife and family again had yufkas and kebaps last week while running here and there.

I had a kebap on Friday at lunchtime. The bread was so crispy and perfect on the outside. The sauce, pronounced "zohouza" in German, was delicious, the veggies were wonderful (although I didn't get a tomato slice this time) and there was plenty of meat. Very tasty.

By the way, please pray for the couple that sat next to me. They were civil and quiet but seemed to be having a disagreement the whole time.

Pleased to announce I enjoyed a tasty Donar Kebap today. Has it really, really been since December? Yes. Sadly...

A lot has happened locally in the Donar world. My favorite spot closed down. Two more new ones opened up in our town. That's 3 in my town that I know. Also, the one in the town I work in moved to a location much closer to my office...yeah!

Post a Comment

About this blog