Matthews Family Herald

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" from Joshua 24:15


Well, it's been a good long while since I've lasted blogged and I regret that. Things are finally reaching a level where I can write.


Since last time, Rachel has gone to North Carolina and has married her Thomas. They have their own apartment now and are having a great time stocking it and settling in. They recently had the chance to attend a married retreat and said it was good for them. Rachel is reporting that she's having great fun just getting to know her husband each day.

I've been on leave now for a month and today I'm planning to sign back in. I'll have to shave by beard off and that's the second worst part of the whole deal. :( ;) Really, the saddest part is just having to not be with my children each day. I really feel like the Lord's ultimate best will is for families to work and live and play together. Whatever we do for "increase" ought to be all done together. The world system we live in isn't designed that way and is contrary to God's will. Anyhow, I seek the Lord perhaps daily for His deliverance and am thankful for how much time I DO get with my family while working out of debt and finishing the term of service I'm in.

Our landlords are replacing an outdoor staircase and I believe doing some wall repairs as well. So, we felt like the best option would be to live elsewhere during that time. We didn't have the money to afford to travel or stay in a hotel so we were planning to stay and somehow live around the dust and noise and repairs. Then our missionary friends, the Macy's, who are from the US and live about 10 miles from us in Germany, invited us to live in the vacant apartment downstairs from them in the building they live in and are managers of. We were so excited to have the chance to live a greater measure of community life in the Lord with them and grow in that expression of following Jesus. It's been a real blessing this week and also a challenge for growth. I believe both families are growing and learning together in the Lord. They are very generous, loving, open, down-to-earth, and cool people and it's a rare find to run into people like them.

Micah's been playing lots of guitar now that Rachel has gone and left her favorite one with him and in his care. Jacob and Micah both are doing lots of comic book art work. Hannah is growing so much and maturing in her schooling and elsewhere. She was washing a load of dishes the other day and I was proud of her. She's been a big help to Heather. Nathan is just enjoying playing with his brother in the Lord and it's a pleasure to see them together playing. Eden is such a princess and it's great be with her so much. It's been so fulfilling to be home with the kids. As much as we miss Rachel, it was time for her to go and I can see the growth in everyone as we all step up to fill in the gap. We miss her, but we are not in constant sorrow or mourning as the Lord knew it was time and prepared us. This is how it's supposed to work, I believe.

Oh, Micah has finally gotten a large revelation of what Romans 6 is all about. He came into my room excitedly talking about "I get it, Dad!" and he was grinning ear to ear. We discussed it and he was very confident and articulated things well. He's also been reading some of the Pearl's commentary on the topic and we've been discussing that also.

Heather, Micah, and I have all been reading a book together called "Revolution in World Missions" and it's been fun to read it and discuss it as we go along. A great way to be connected. The book emphasizes several things, but one in particular is something that's been on my heart for awhile. A social gospel isn't THE GOSPEL. It's the cart that the horse pulls but preaching and teaching who Jesus Christ is, inviting others to know and serve Him, and disciple them with a solid Holy Bible and Spirit based foundation is THE calling we all have. Meeting needs is not the objective but will come out of doing the first.

Okay, well, that's enough writing for now but I hope you feel somewhat caught up.


2 comments:

Good to have an update. Sounds like things are chuggin along at the Matthews household.

I had heard Rachel got married, and am quite happy for her and Tom. :) Though, I really don't know much about being married, considering I haven't ever been. I do know people who are though. (Haha) Unfortunately, Tom has an M lastname, and I wont ever get the enjoyment of knowing that Rachel will have to change her username everywhere. Noooo....

Here in Arkansas where preparing our house to be sold, as we realized that it wasn't God's will for us to buy it... We're planning on going back to Florida and Georgia as soon as possible. Other than that, my mom's gonna have a baby. Hooray.

I also have my font released... And am working on other versions. It pays quite well.

Hi Brian, thanks for the update on your family. I've heard Florida is pretty nice. I've been to Georgia before as well and it seemed like a good place. Whereever the Lord leads is home, I think. I know what you mean about Rachel keeping her initials. Kinda cool in a way. Praying the Lord send you your wife in His timing. My son and I were discussing this topic recently. I was telling him that he could already start praying for His wife and fighting in the Spirit for her safety, her edification in the Lord, and her set apart purity for him only. You probably are already doing that for your future wife though.

Take care and hope to talk again soon.

James

Post a Comment

About this blog