Matthews Family Herald

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" from Joshua 24:15


Today I had the joy of helping my three-year old son, Nathan put together one of his favorite "Thomas the Train" puzzles. I started right away using the same method I normally use, which is to build the borders first and fill in from there. I also frequently compare what I'm doing with the puzzle to the picture on the box. Watching Nathan put the pieces together made me smile and remember what it was like when I was his age and had no technique or method yet developed.

I watched him trying to force two pieces into fitting together that didn't belong together. I would have to calm him down and gently convince him that this was not the way it works. The puzzle "is what it is" and we have to submit to making what belongs together go together. I realized how much doing a puzzle was like serving God and walking with God. We have a big picture to frequently compare who we are and what we are doing to. That big picture is the life Jesus lived, the Book His words are captured in, and the Spirit He guides us with. We have our agenda that we are constantly tempted to force into being in spite of the Maker's guide and plan. We have to submit and put things where He wants them in our lives no matter how much we wish for that other thing to "go there." We are truly happiest when we are ordered in His fashion and after His design.

Finally, we can't always see the big picture. When working a puzzle, I notice pieces that belong together. I I put them together and notice that other pieces attach to those two. As I'm building this smaller portion, I'm not always yet able to see how that cluster of pieces fits into the overall puzzle, but God has allowed me to put them together. My son has his cluster and I know his pieces fit into the big picture too but sometimes I can't yet tell where. He builds, I build and we both work together. I see a piece and share with him and he sees one that I need. As long as our pride doesn't stop us from cooperating, we build the big picture together and, like I was able to coach, comfort, and encourage my son, God is there to mentor and guide us as we do our part of the big puzzle He has designed for all of us.

3 comments:

I think its amazing the different ways God imparts wisdom to us. This was a very well written analogy of God's will, and was very uplifting for me, as I needed to read that.

Nice puzzle analogy. I, at times, think about the puzzle pieces in my life that don't seem to fit.

Anyway you can see what's going on with my family over at my blog, I just updated it yesterday.

Thank you, Brian. I will plan to check it out soon and make myself a follower of your site now. Take care,
James

Post a Comment

About this blog