Matthews Family Herald

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" from Joshua 24:15

(This is a post I submitted to the site: www.purechristianity.blogs.com )

The word "Righteousness" is derived, in biblical terms, from the Hebrew word "sedeq" and denotes right standing and consequent right behavior within a community. (New Dictionary of Theology - Wright/Ferguson/Packer)

I think that all those with faith in Christ form one, big family. One big community. Those who enjoy this blog site regularly are part of a community centered here on what the Brooks are doing as well. So, we are all here together in this boat. Hi neighbor.

To me, Righteousness is not something I can earn by doing or not doing certain things. It's something that God stamps upon me when I accept what His Son, Jesus, did to pay for all the punishment I deserve and so I am again able to relate to God and to fellowship with Him again, based upon my cleanness or righteousness given to me by God. So, I can by no means be Self Righteous unless I can somehow claim that God is pleased with me based on how I behave. God calls me 'Righteous" but I guess you could say I am "Christ Righteous" instead of "Self Righteous."

But why, then, are there things that I don't do anymore? Why would that be important? Well, when my conscience relays a strong reaction to something, then I pray and ask God about it. If I can't seem to feel right about it, then I'll stop doing whatever that thing is. This does not mean I have now become "Self Righteous" but instead it could perhaps be said that I am now simply "Obedient."

Whoa. But wait, does that mean that I'm accusing anyone else who still does that thing that I have stopped doing, (like watching Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or Dark Chrystal), of not being obedient to God? That's hard to answer because I have no idea what God is telling them. Did you know it is possible that you are watching those three things, for example, and being obedient and that, at the same time, I am not watching any of those things and also being obedient as well? Yes. It's true.

Many say that the "unity of the faith" means that everyone is acting, looking, talking, and behaving the same. I say that true "unity in the faith" comes more so when everyone is being obedient and allowing each other the breathing room to not conform to themselves, but instead to be sensitive to God and obey Him where ever they are at in their "walk with God." If you check out some of the New Testament writings, you'll find Paul saying that some think one day is special above all others, and then others think all days are equal and that, somehow, both types of people are obedient.

Another example shows that some people eat meat and drink wine and are right in God's eyes, while another group never eats meat or drinks any wine and they are also right in God's eyes. That's what I'm saying here. If you like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and Dark Chrystal and anything else, that's just wonderful for you. All you are responsible for is simply being honest with yourself and with God and with others. If you can honestly say your conscience isn't bothered and God isn't asking you to stop, well then that's great. If your brother or sister next door, however, doesn't do those things, well, that's okay too. No need to be angry with them or start calling them names. Leave them alone and let them obey God too. There may be a reason that this "weaker brother" or sister isn't able to watch them right now and you don't want to be responsible for keeping them from growing and obeying God.

Paul says that he would not eat meat or drink wine or do anything else that would cause his "weaker brother" to stumble into what would be a sin for that weaker brother. This means that Paul recognized that he was in a relationship and a community with his fellow brothers and sisters. Paul had the freedom in Christ to enjoy meat eating and wine drinking but he would not do these things in front of those he was in fellowship with if it would offend them. I'd like to challenge you to consider the same.

Don't continually throw your participation and enjoyment in things that offend others you are in community with, up in their faces. Enjoy those things you do, in obedience to God, but enjoy them on your own. You don't have to draw attention to them constantly and thereby cause others to stumble, be offended, and eventually lose fellowship with them.

I'd say we all need to grow up a little bit and try and enjoy the "unity of the faith" by not trying to get everyone else to agree with our point-of-view but instead, let God's miracle of unity in spite of differences shine forth.

James Matthews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog