Matthews Family Herald

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" from Joshua 24:15


My sister, Lydia, is visiting us this week and it's a joy to have her here. She and I had changing parental circumstances growing up but one variable did not change; we grew up together and we had each other.

Last night, I dreamed that I was walking through my grandparent's home (our grandparents raised us for awhile and one them, our grandmother, has already passed away) and it was obvious that, in the dream, they were no longer alive and everything was different. Everything was messy and in disarray. To my relief, I found one room in the home that was "devolving" like the other rooms but was similar enough to how I remembered it in order for me to feel comfortable remembering how it was living with them.

So anyway, thinking about them, Lydia reminded me of a delicious snack that our grandmother, Nonny, used to make all the time; fried Cheerios. I'm putting a YouTube video link here for your viewing pleasure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f93j3foTt5s

You melt a pat of butter in a frying pan and leave it on medium heat. Pour a cup or two of Cheerios into the pan and fry until they begin to darken a little. Then pour in few tablespoons of powdered sugar and stir that in. They taste awesome. My wife suggested I sprinkle in a little cinnamon and I did that also. A dash of salt and you have a perfect snack.

My kids loved it and I felt like I passed on some of my Nonny's love to the kids. With my wife's help, we added our own love and "improvements" and made it our own.

Here's the link to the video I found that partly shows the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f93j3foTt5s

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog