Matthews Family Herald

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" from Joshua 24:15




I love a good trip to the thrift store. Even better, to a place where you can donate stuff and then pick up stuff as well. Book swaps are a special favorite, but I was overjoyed to pick up a 6 CD audio book at one of these swap stores recently. I thought it was a book for my wife, since it was written by Francine Rivers. But I was wrong. It's for me. The name of the book is "The Prophet: Amos" and is one of five books in her "Sons of Encouragement" Series. So, I'm ever thankful that "The J ride" as I call the Buick I'm driving, has a functional CD player.

(It's "The J Ride" because the guy's last name who gave it to me starts with a J, because my first name starts with a J, because Jesus - who made it possible - His name starts with a J, and because it's one of those classy, large vehicles.)


So Rachel my daughter, I know you are likely excited to see I'm reading a Rivers book. So to Rachel and any other ladies wanting to get their husbands into some good books (or their sons, like my boys) I'd recommend looking into this Sons of Encouragement series. This one is a winner and the other ones look promising too. The Warrior, The Priest, The Scribe, and The Prince" are the other titles. And, you can buy all five in one book now. We men need more interesting and inspiring action novels of faith and these seem to fit that bill.

But back to the story review:

Book Overview (from Amazon.com): Behind the men who shaped history are the heroes who forever changed it. In The Prophet, the fourth book in the Sons of Encouragement series, beloved author Francine Rivers illuminates the life of Amos. Francine examines the life of Amos and his relationship to Israel during its prosperous years. Amos's message—and his relationship with God—made him unpopular. But his challenge to those who were enjoying the blessings of prosperity was crucial then and is strikingly timely today as well.

1 comments:

Haha, funny you should mention this. Tom actually got me the five stories in one book for my birthday.. I haven't read all of them (like you, I don't think he realized the books were geared more towards men; there's a series by the same author for women.) I might just send you guys my copy when I'm done with it. :)

Post a Comment

About this blog