Matthews Family Herald

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" from Joshua 24:15


I'm at a U.S. Army "professional development" school in Virginia right now that is a mandatory part of career progression for an enlisted person like myself. It reminds me of my public education experiences in some ways because we are learning the same technical and tactical things we learned in basic training and in my "job skill" schooling, but now on a deeper level and for a higher level of responsibility. Funny to say, but in some ways it also reminds me of some religious or other organizations that teach you things in various levels as you grow within the group.

For example, we covered the foundations for "operational law" or "law of warfare" in a way that I found fascinating. A bit sobering also, because, after reviewing the Hague Conventions, Geneva Convention treaties, etc., I discovered that the effort to organize as one World has been going on since at least the 1800s, and probably long before that, but here was proof. As far as the "laws of warfare," I thought they were great ideas and that they have likely made a large improvement of things. But they'd help so much more if Nations would follow them! All nations, I mean. (and I notice there's three fingers pointing back at us (I'm in America) as I say this. Regardless, I've found a new, favorite career emphasis which amounts offering a strong, moral influence for commanders and Soldiers to consider in the conduct of war. Something there's a great need for.

I wanted to talk about memorization and recitation. A basic, scholastic skill that may not be used much in today's public schools, but was used in the "old days" and is definitely a part of Soldier indoctrination. We have creeds for the new Soldier to learn and creeds for the Enlisted leaders to recite. We at this school recite them at least 3 times per day and so I can almost be asleep and say them well. The amazing thing is that I've noticed that certain sentences of this creed will "pop" into my head at certain moments of decision. Sentences like "I will exercise initiative by taking appropriate actions in the absence of orders" and "I will not compromise my integrity or my moral courage." This technique works and can strengthen a person's moral and situational compass.

The idea was not the Army's or the school system's; It was not even the church's. It was God's. You can find it in the Bible. "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:11) Here away from my family, it's lonely and depressing to be away and there are temptations and troubles all about. (Not too many in the social arena for me, actually, as I've never really been much of a "Mr. Popular" but that's all right with me.) But anyway, a powerful verse that's often come into my head at "just the right time" is "if I had cherished iniquity in my heart, He would not have listened." (Psalm 66:18)

When I pray, I want God to listen. When I reach for Abba, my Father, I want Him to hold my hand and to hear me. I want to connect with God. Whatever it is that I might be wanting to do or to get involved with is not worth trading a connection of fellowship with my Father for. But reading His word regularly and completely helps to make a difference, as well as efforts to memorize scripture. It's been my experience that God will use that familiarization with His word to benefit and emphasize something for me, and at just the right moment in life when I need it.

Photo used with permission and found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiegall/374268661/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog